Crock-Pot French Onion Soup
This Crock-Pot French Onion Soup recipe is super easy and makes a fabulous meal anytime of the year.
Author: Danny Gutierrez
Recipe type: Soups, Stews and Chilis
- 3 tbs Butter
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 2 large Red Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large Yellow Onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tbs Sugar
- ¼ tsp Thyme, dried
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- 3 cups Water
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup Port Wine
- ½ cup Burgundy Wine
- French Bread, sliced
- Gruyere, Provolone or Swiss Cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet or soup pot, melt butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until clear and tender.
- Stir in garlic, sugar, salt, pepper, port wine and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Finish in Crock-pot
- Transfer the onions to the slow cooker.
- Stir in burgundy, beef broth, water, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours.
- Place a crouton of French bread into an ovenproof bowl.
- Ladle the soup over top of the crouton and top with cheese.
- Broil in oven until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot.
Inspired by a similar-type dish that I enjoyed rather often when I worked at Bern's Steak House in the early 2000's.
More Crock-Pot French Onion Soup Pics