Roasted Spinach & Prosciutto Turkey Roulade
Roasted Spinach & Prosciutto Turkey Roulade is a great alternative to cooking a whole turkey at Thanksgiving or for your special event.
Author: Danny Gutierrez
Recipe type: Meats
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 2-3 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 small Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 large cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 heaping cups Spinach, fresh
- 1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper, ground
- 4-6 Prosciutto, thin slices
- ½ cup Asiago or Parmigiano Cheese, freshly grated
- 4-6 sprigs Thyme, fresh
- Couple feet of cooking twine
- 4 Pound turkey breast, deboned and butterflied
- Salt & Pepper
Mise en place
- Dice the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Portion the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, prosciutto.
- Clean and portion spinach and thyme.
- Grate cheese.
- Debone, butterfly and pound out turkey breast.
Cook the filling
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbs of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, salt, pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they are caramel in color.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Lower heat to medium-low, add the spinach, balsamic vinegar and sprinkle lightly with salt. Mix spinach with the onions and sauté until spinach wilts and then transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Mix in the grated cheese. Set aside and let cool.
Put it together
- Butterfly the breast and lay flat open, pound with a meat mallet to create even thickness throughout - about ¼ inch thickness. (To save time, ask your butcher to butterfly the breast for you.)
- Spread spinach mixture in an even layer across each filet leaving about 1½ inch of space around the edges.
- Top the filling with sliced prosciutto.
- Start at one end, firmly roll up the turkey breast, keeping the roll as tight as possible and use 4 equally spaced kitchen lengths of kitchen twine to secure the roast well.
- Tuck in any filling that escapes!
Cook the roulade
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a baking dish, lay turkey in center and place thyme sprigs around roast.
- Rub about 1 tbs of olive oil all over turkey and sprinkle it evenly with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for about 1 hour 30 minutes, or until the turkey breast reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Several times during roasting, baste the roast with the pan juices. This will keep the meat moist and will add an extra layer of flavor.
- When the roast has reached temperature, remove it from the oven and allow the meat to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- After the roast has rested for about 10-15 minutes, slice it thinly and serve immediately topped with gravy.
More Roasted Spinach & Prosciutto Turkey Roulade Pics
(Visited 54 times, 1 visits today)