Nachos de Queso
The key to this Nachos de Queso recipe is its simplicity. Good cheeses and tortilla chips baked in the oven with pickled jalapenos, served hot with a healthy portion of shredded lettuce tossed in olive oil and salted tomatoes on top.
Author: Danny Gutierrez
Recipe type: Appetizers & Tapas, Southwestern
- Tortilla Chips, flour or corn
- 4 oz Jack Cheese, shredded
- 4 oz Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 20 - 30 Jalapenos slices, pickled
- 1 cup Lettuce, shredded
- ¼ cup Tomato, diced and salted
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
Mise en place
- Shred cheeses and mix together.
- Shred lettuce and toss in olive oil.
- Dice and salt tomatoes.
Assemble and bake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Layer tortilla chips on an oven-safe plate so that each chip can get an equal amount of cheese on top.
- Add cheese generously all over the chips.
- Place jalapenos all over so that you get one on most every chip.
- Place in oven on middle rack and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Take out of oven, place some lettuce in the middle and top with tomatoes.
- Serve immediately.
Inspired by a similar dish we enjoyed often in the early 1980's at Casa Gallardo Mexican Restaurant.
More Nachos de Queso Pics