Frijoles Colorados (Cuban Red Beans)
Frijoles Colorados (Cuban Red Beans) are usually served over white rice and can be eaten with just about any meat, chicken or seafood. They also freeze very well so you can make a big pot and even enjoy them as a weekday meal.
Author: Danny Gutierrez
Recipe type: Soups, Stews & Chilis
- 14 oz package of Red Kidney Beans, dried
- 8 cups Water
- 1 Ham Bone
- 1 lb. Ham (previously cooked), cubed
- 3½ oz. Spanish Chorizo (2 sausages), cut into large slices
- ½ large Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 large Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 lbs. Butternut Squash (Calabaza), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup Tomato Sauce
- ¼ cup Vino Seco
- 1 packet of Sazon Goya con Achiote
- ¼ tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp Goya Adobo Seasoning
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Soak the beans
- Rinse and sort beans making sure there are no small stones in your batch.
- In a large heavy pot, soak beans overnight in 4 cups of water. DO NOT DRAIN.
Next day - Start cooking beans with ham bone
- Place the ham bone in the pot with the beans, add the other 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 1½ hours, skimming foam from the top.
- At the 1½ hour mark, remove the bone and if there is any meat on it, cut it off and set aside.
Mise en place - during the 1½ hours of cooking beans with ham bone
- Chop onion and green pepper, set aside.
- Mince garlic and set aside.
- Slice chorizo and set aside.
- Cube ham, potatoes and butternut squash (calabaza), set aside.
- Portion olive oil, vinegar, tomato sauce, vino seco, oregano, adobo seasoning, bay leaves.
Put it all together
- In a separate large skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium-high.
- Add onions and green peppers with some salt & pepper, stirring occasionally.
- When veggies start to get soft, add ham, oregano, adobo seasoning, and garlic.
- When you can smell the garlic, add vino seco and stir well. Reduce liquid by half.
- Add tomato sauce, vinegar, sazon packet, stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add this ham/veggie mixture to large pot with the beans and stir well.
- Add bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- When boiling point has been reached, stir well, salt and pepper to taste.
- Lower heat to low/medium-low, cover and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When beans are almost soft (approximately 20 minutes out), add add the chorizo, potatoes and butternut squash (calabaza). Add more hot water or chicken stock if necessary.
- Raise heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes, squash and beans are tender.
- When all are tender, take off the heat.
- Serve over white rice or as a hearty soup.
Inspired by: The dish both my Abuelas used to make often.
Last edited: 02/02/2021
Last edited: 02/02/2021
More Frijoles Colorados (Cuban Red Beans) Pics