Pepperoni, Sausage & Onion Calzone
This Pepperoni, Sausage & Onion Calzone recipe is one of my daughter's favorites... Even though this combination is hard to beat, the wonderful thing about calzones is that you can get creative with the ingredients and have it your way. Our ingredients choices seem to be different just about every time we make them.
Author: Danny Gutierrez
Recipe type: Pizzas & Calzones
- (1) 12 oz Publix Pizza Dough, bakery pre-made
- ¼ cup Flour
- 20 slices of Pepperoni
- 2 Italian Sausage, grilled & sliced thick
- ½ cup Onion, diced
- 14 oz Pizza Sauce
- 16 oz Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce, for filling and dipping
- 3 tbs Olive Oil
- Several dashes Garlic Salt
- 1 tbs Parsley, dried
Mise en place
- Grill sausage and let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing into ½" slices.
- Dice onion and slice pepperoni into thin slices, if necessary.
- Open jar of pizza sauce.
- Shred mozzarella, if necessary.
- In a small bowl, mix 3 tbs olive oil, garlic salt and parsley and set aside.
Calzone dough prep
- Remove dough from refrigerator and let stand one hour (do not remove from bag until stand time completed).
Assemble & bake calzone
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare crust... Flour hands lightly and pat dough lightly with flour.
- Cut dough in half with sharp knife, place one half on lightly floured surface and roll to desired thickness.
- Place dough on on a lightly floured pizza peel or lightly greased nonstick 16" pizza pan.
- Place cheese, sauce, sausage, pepperoni & onions on ½ of dough, then fold over and crimp ends to close all the goodness in.
- Lightly brush top of calzone with olive oil, garlic salt and parsley mixture.
- Cut a slit or two in the top of the calzone to allow steam to release.
- If on a pizza peel, place calzone carefully on pizza stone or if on nonstick 16" pizza pan, simply place calzone in oven on middle rack.
- Bake 18–25 minutes (depending on thickness) or until crust is golden, cheese is melted and thoroughly heated.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Lightly brush top of calzone with olive oil, garlic salt and parsley mixture again to give it that shine.
- Serve with a side of your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.
- Repeat process for second calzone.
Inspired by Bella's Italian Cafe's Create Your Own Calzone back in the early 1990's