Crispy Potato Skins
These Crispy Potato Skins are very easy to prepare and make an excellent appetizer. Crispy skins with gooey cheese, topped with bacon, sour cream and green onions... Prep the potatoes in advance and you can enjoy them any day of the week.
Author: Danny Gutierrez
Recipe type: Appetizers & Tapas
- 3 small Russet Potatoes, cut in half
- Olive Oil, for baking or microwaving potatoes
- Canola or Vegetable oil
- 3 strips of Bacon, crumbled
- 2-3 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 2 Scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt & Pepper
Mise en place
- Slice Scallions thinly and set aside.
- Cook the bacon and let them cool on paper towels. Crumble and set aside.
- Clean the potatoes.
Prep potato skins
- Pierce the potatoes with a knife or a fork and rub all over with olive oil.
- Bake the potatoes for about 1 hour at 400°F or microwave them on High for about 5 minutes per potato. Potatoes should be cooked through and give a little when pressed. When they are done, set aside and let cool enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut potatoes in half horizontally and use a spoon to scoop out the insides, leaving about ¼ of an inch of potato on the skin. You can reserve the scooped potatoes for another use.
- Brush canola or vegetable oil all over both sides of the potato skins and sprinkle with salt.
- Place them on a baking rack in a roasting pan or broiler pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes on one side.
- Flip the skins over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cool enough to handle.
Assemble the potato skins
- Set your oven to Broil.
- Add black pepper, cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon to the potato skins.
- Place in the oven and broil for 2 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from oven, top with sour cream and scallions.
- Serve immediately.
Inspired by all the Skins I served and ate over my many years in the bar business.